Facbook Explorer is a web app designed to make navigating statistics data made available from the OECD iLibrary in a user friendly way.
You can expect to find data for Population levels and Gross GDP statistics for each country broken down by year.
Click here for demo
- Click on country labels to see the country data.
- The API is hosted on a free plan on heroku, so expect a small delay on data fetch.
What it does
- get data in spreadsheet format from www.oecd.org
- flask server cleans spreadsheet data using python pandas library
- flask and sqlite 3 creates a relational table for each given data set
- population levels growth
- gross gdp
- flask creates and exposes JSON endpoints for each given data set
- frontend renders a map using MapBox
- frontend fetches data from JSON endpoint on click
- frontend renders a table
The project was completed as part of a submission to the Bachelor in Data Science I was studying towards at Noroff University.
Read Frontend code here.
Read Backend code here.
The project is by no means feature complete I will continue on it, I will add some fancy new frontend framework as well as add more data to it.